Please read the guide to tree tagging and read in advance. We will give you full training on site, but reading in advance will help with some key skills, such as measuring using a digital caliper and tree classification. You do not need to bring a copy of this guide - we will provide all equipment you need onsite, except for your smartphone.Download the guide to tree tagging here
The Glandwr Forest site is approximately 220m / 720ft above sea level and can be exposed to windy conditions. In a typical day, you might see low cloud cover, wind, rain and sun.
Our volunteering takes place outdoors, the grass around the trees is long and can remain wet with rain or morning dew. There are nettles in places. Old clothes are recommended.
• We strongly recommend long trousers and a long-sleeved shirt.
• Sturdy footwear, ideally waterproof. Walking boots or wellington boots are ideal.
• Sun protection including a sun hat, wind protection or rain protection depending on the day.
• Waterproof jacket.
• Please bring gardening gloves or similar.
• Please bring a water bottle and plenty of water. There is treated spring water on site. We recommend a minimum of 2L of water.
• Food & Drink – The Carbon Community will provide hot drinks, snacks and lunch with vegetarian, vegan and gluten free options. If you have additional dietary requirements or simply prefer to bring your own lunch, please do.
• Bug spray (optional).
• If you normally carry an epi-pen for severe allergies, please ensure to bring it with you.
• Our indoor volunteer area is one large room which includes the kitchen and induction hob. If this is a risk to you please let us know so we can make arrangements.
We will be following all Welsh government Covid guidelines. If you have Covid symptoms or are feeling unwell, please do not attend the event. We will have plenty of future volunteering opportunities.
Our address is: The Carbon Community, Glandwr Forest, Cynghordy, Llandovery SA20 0LW. We recommend following the directions on Google Maps which will take you right to our car park.
Once you reach Cynghordy, follow the road under the viaduct. We are the first turning on the left over a small green bridge. You will see signs for The Glandwr Forest Volunteering and Penlan at the bridge.
Please do not come to the site without an appointment or first registering for one of our events.
Cynghordy station is a request stop. From the train station, it is approximately 1.5km to walk to the site. If you are travelling via train, please email us at email@example.com and we can arrange to collect you from the station or send you walking directions.
La Patisserie 2 High St, Llandovery SA20 0PT is a wonderful local bakery with made to order sandwiches.
Co-op supermarket High St, Llandovery SA20 0RA is open from 6:00 – 22:00 Monday through Saturday and 10:00 – 16:00 on Sunday.
There is no public camping on The Carbon Community site. There are a number of nearby campgrounds within easy access.